Wednesday, June 14, 2006

the american dream....

I am at home right now with barrett, mark is at a dinner with gary k, and skyler is at work, she should be home soon. If i sit here long enough, i will begin to cry over how the LORD has blessed me and my family. We have a great friend who is in our circle of care :) who is fond of saying we are living the american dream. Well, sometimes it is not such a dream, but believe me, it is blessing after blessing, even as laura said tonight in bible study, if the blessings are running parallel to the "unanswered".

Let me get all sentimental here for a moment...you can stop right now if you don't like mushy.
17 years ago this month, mark and I found out we were expecting Skyler. Quite a surprise, that girl, although really not so much. As mary lou said..."you gotta pay the piper if you wanna dance." Anyway, we were so scared and so unsure of what the future held, but because of amazing family, friends (Thanks randy and tammi) and a pastor who told us not what we wanted to hear, but needed to, we knew that God only wanted his best for us. And we were willing to do whatever it took to give him our best too. So on July 29, we will celebrate 17 years of being not just married, but getting to live our lives with the one God chose for us.
Flash forward a few years and we have Barrett, who is so much like his daddy, it is scary and funny at the same time!! Go forward many more years, and here we are...far from perfect, but man, God has not let us down once. Skyler, who is now working, driving, a junior in high school, but still calls to tell me she is leaving to come home, and tomorrow, since we are both off, do I wanna hang out? ( My mom has hip replacement surgery tom. so i will hanging out at St. Johns tho). Barrett, who is now taller than me, a 7th grader, and could most likely deck me if he wanted, instead comes in and kisses my cheek and says he loves me as he passes thru the kitchen. And my husband, who knows all my bad habits and insecurities, and who knows better than anyone that i could stand to loose some poundage, ( he would never tell me that, tho) still wants to snuggle in the chair and 1/2, that somehow has mananged to shrink since we bought it a few years ago! That man is my dream come true, and i cannot believe most of the time he chose me. Our families have changed, some have gone on to heaven, everyone is older, our friends have been added to, some have moved away, and we still love that pastor rogers, and love our pastor eddie so much. Our church has changed too, and great changes are in store. But the one thing that hasn't is that God still is pouring out his best for us.

I started to put sorry this is so long, but i am not really. This blog will allow me to occassionally share my heart, not just my mindless pursuits and gibberish. I AM living the american dream, thanks to my friend for the needed reminder.

8 comments:

millsie said...

aw miss cindy, that was very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, your family is such a wonderful example to me as a mom. Thank you so much for never hiding anything but for being honest and encouraging others to be all God wants them to be. You're wonderful!!

Robbeebob said...

You know, most blogs talk about nothing(or stuff some people think is something but is really nothing), but your blog brightens my day. Thank you Cindy Hillenburg! Thank you.

Cindy said...

Great testimony! It's encouraging to hear what God is doing in our lives. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

:)

Anonymous said...

I don't know where to start, but I know that I want to say how much I love you. I will never forget 'that' day as long as I live. I was getting a SISTER. And although I know we don't share the bond that only sisters can, you will always hold a place in my life like no other person I know. I honestly don't know what I would have done with out you getting thru high school and the maturing process. I admire your bravery to talk so openly about the past and the future. God has given you a freedom that only he can give. This is long but I am so glad that you have made my brother so happy and that your children "rise up and call you blessed." Our family is amazingly blessed to have each other. I LOVE YOU!

K1 said...

So glad to see your new blog! It's good to hear from the heart of the Hillen fam.

Anonymous said...

AWWW! Tears in my eyes!