Thursday, January 04, 2007

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

I thanked God for the rain today, even tho I don't like it. I told Him that He says to give thanks in everything, so I was thanking Him for the rain. I get some of my best time with God when I am in the van...when I turn off the radio and just talk to Him. You know, like He is my friend!:)
Crystal and Tiffany are coming over tonight...I love those girls. We have 4 really great girls that we have adopted, Tiff and Carie from the college class, and Crystal and Steph, just cause we want to. When I was little and my family went to church at Lakeview Baptist...my parents had adopted kids too. That was confusing for me at first...why would you adopt grown up kids when you already had 5 young ones? Of course, anyone over ten seemed grown up to me then, let alone a college student. So anyway, I can remember Darryl, Valerie, Charlie and Donna, and maybe someone named Tom or something, i could be making that guy up, but someone went with Valerie, right mom and dad? Charlie and Donna were married, and Donna was pregnant with their son Scotty, and right before Scotty was born, Charlie was killed in a car accident. Man, I remember how sad that was, how mad I was at the other person, even tho if I remember correctly, it may have been Charlie's fault for passing and not having room to get back over. Anyway, most of the memories I have of that time are good, very faint, but good. So I think it is great that now Mark and I have the adopted kids, and my kids will have great memories to look back on too.
Do you ever have days that you long for heaven more than others? Of course you do. I have been filling out new calendars the past few days, and I still write in my grandpa and marks grandpa and my grandma thomas' birthdays. Also with Chris losing his nana, and Pat Walker going home this week, anyhow, some days I just long for heaven more. I know its partly because I am older, but honestly, i am ready to not have to say goodbye. My grandma has been gone since 1982, but sometimes I can see her face so clearly and hear her say "Well, howdy-do and how are you" when we would answer the phone. Skyler would have loved knowing her, my grandma was so creative, and loved to read and would have loved being with Skyler. My grandpa thought that my kids hung the moon, and I know he would be so proud of them today. And maybe he could have taught them to play the guitar. Grandpa Doubt was with us longer, so my kids have much more memories of him, and I am so glad. He loved them so much, and Becky's kids too, we have been so blessed to have such a great heritage. I see so much of him in Mark, and that makes me so proud of them both. Kent said it best at Christmas dinner"Raise your hand if you miss Grandpa Doubt." Out of the blue, and yet it was so sweet and incredibly enough, just what we needed. Today is a longing for heaven day. I can't wait to see them again.
Well, I know this was longwinded and kinda sad. Rainy days are good for that. Sunny tomorrow, I'll remember to say thanks for that too.

4 comments:

Hillenblog said...

wow...remind me not to read your blog on rainy days or Mondays...cause now I'm Down...

Anonymous said...

How very sweet! There is not a day goes by that I do not think of my dad(for others reading your blog, that would be Grandpa Doubt). He was a very special person and he truly loved you. But then you are very easy to love. I think all of us learned a whole lot about life from him. I think I would have liked your Grandma Thomas. She sounds like she would have been fun. I knew Grandpa Basil and he, too, was a very special person. I thought Kent's comment at Christmas dinner was very special. I just hope he is old enough that he will always be able to remember my dad.
Love you,
Hillengrandma

Unknown said...

I know how you're feeling. We've been experiencing those longings lately as well. Hubby's mom passed at Mother's Day 2006, and his dad's been gone for 16 years now. My grandfathers are all gone, as well. There's such a sweetness in knowing that they're waiting for us, but the longing to be there NOW is sometimes so strong.

I hadn't heard about Pat Walker. We'll be praying for them.

It's cool that you adopt, too! I was just saying last night that we've been without a "stray" for far too long around here...since the hurricane. I don't know quite what to do.

Buck up...tomorrow's Friday...maybe it won't rain!

LauraD said...

My grandma passed away on New Year's Day 12 years ago. She would have been 100 on her birthday this year! Wow! I will miss Mrs. Walker, too. She was a very sweet lady.