Saturday, January 06, 2007

$201.06

That is the total that we spent at the grocery store today. We have this habit of waiting until we run out of almost everything, and then go. We are always surprised by the total at the end, at least Mark is, but he has not been going with me for too long. We usually go major shopping every three weeks or so, so divided by three, the weekly average is not to bad, right? Anyway, I only blog this to tell you how close I was to the actual total today when we were checking out. I asked Mark if he wanted to guess the total, and he guessed $150.00. I told him my guess was $201.84. He looked askance at that grand total, and I reminded him we did get the water purifier this time, which ads almost $30 to the bill. Anyway, the checker guy was laughing at us, and the lady in line behind us was anxiously awaiting the total, so I gave a little drum roll as the last item went by. The checker guy smiled and hit the total button:$201.06!!! Everyone around looked at me in amazement, and I was very excited to be that close. I would have been more excited in the long run if Mark had been correct, but oh, well. Pretty good guessing, eh?
Just in case Betsy reads this, I made some killer pork chops the other day. So good in fact that Mark would like a repeat sometime this week, and we even went to Harter House to get the chops. I tried a new recipe last week for a change of pace. We always seem to have the same things over and over...and I guess it will stay that way, cause the new dish I tried was awful! It sounded so good in the cookbook, and yet tasted so bad when it was finished. And yes, I followed the recipe, because I am really no good at all with just making stuff up! So today at the store, everything we bought is from the tried and true category.
Tomorrow is Sunday of course, and it is back to Sunday School and big church. See you there, get yourself some coffee, and enjoy the fellowship!

4 comments:

Hillenblog said...

I guess I should ask her to let me know mid-store...when she feels we are getting close to $149.86...Make those keen instincts work for me...

Anonymous said...

But, aren't you just so grateful for the way the Lord has blessed you through the years. I can remember a time when you probably didn't have $20.06 to spend on groceries. But, He is so good. I know you never went hungry and neither have we except by choice. You will have to share your pork chop recipe with me. Hillengrand loves pork chops.

Love you,
Hillengrandma

Hayely said...

"Mark, can you please put this in my nose?"

-the funniest thing i heard all day

Anonymous said...

Hey Betsy,

Mike has some compition. Cindy was only off by 78 cents and the bill was in triple digets. Wow!!!!!

If she had grabbed that 65 cent pack of gum.

Elli