Monday, July 10, 2006

the library

we just got back from the library. by we, i mean me, sky, barrett, elijah, anna and sophie. All of us. At the same time. We went to the library station, which is my favorite location. And, the kids love it too. They play in the train, anna and eli go right on in, sophie has to be convinced that it is not really gonna leave the station first, but after that, she is fine. Sophie played for a while, and then went to find a book. she came back with Peter Rabbit. she sat and looked at the pictures, and then told me she needed to find one for anna. Very soon, she came back with a second copy for anna. Which means at the tender age of almost 4, she remembered where she had gotten the first copy. My heart was very glad, because I think she is perhaps a natural born reader. The funniest part is she said "anna will love this." and ran off to give it to her. Anna said thank you sophie, and promptly laid it on the bench inside the train,and kept on playing. However, i did notice that she had it when we went to check out, so maybe she will be a reader too.
we, really skyler, found the junie b jones section, which she then read out loud on the way home.Cause that girl is our favorite, that's why. My favorite lines so far from Junie b jones smells something fishy are: Where's the justice in that, Helen? and You did the best you could, old man. Somehow being an obnoxious, bratty, smart alec kid seems okay when its junie b.
We could read her all day.
I also finally got the brochure to join the best sellers club. I think they automatically put on the hold list for the authors you pick when a new book is available. Maybe now i will be the 700th hold on the 1st book returned instead of the 770th. Small pleasures, people, small pleasures.
So, have you been to the libray lately? What is your favorite location? Just wondering.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am actully getting ready to head over to the library. We Usually go to the midtown branch. This is for the kids. It is less busy and the librarian there is great. There is a room just for them and the computers are always available for the boys. At check out there is one lady who always brings fresh flowers from her rose garden and has them on the counter. I however don't care what location I get to go to. I just LOVE going. What great books have you read lately besides pet cemetary?

hillenblogshappywife said...

well, i actually have not even tried to read pet cemetary since high school, i was just reminded of it the other day. I am having trouble getting into anything right now, i seem to starting some but not finishing. Midtown branch is good to know for when your kids are here...and i am in complete agreement...I just love the library!

Cindy said...

Have you read any books by Robin Hardy? The Lystra Trilogy is my favorite. If you like Francine Rivers I think you would like her style. I recommend reading her older books first. This new series that came out in 2000 something is the story of the daughter. I loved the original stories so much I can't break open this new series yet!

rachel said...

We went to the library yesterday, too! Just Brentwood, as we were only running in to get the coupon packs that the kids have earned. It's probably my least favorite location. I have recently read Childwise by Ezzo and Creative Correction by that girl from The Facts if Life. Both were good. I am considering jumping on the latest Christian bandwagon by reading Velvet Elvis. Anybody read it yet?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that another adult enjoys reading Junie B. as much as I do!! Whenever we go on a trip and my girls have their new book I have to read it to the family. The only problem is that Ally who is almost nine enjoys talking like her and now constantly talks about bugs who will "stomple you to death"

Anonymous said...

Our favorite is also the Library Station and we are usually there twice a week these days. The librarians in the kids section know us by name...
I highly recommend listening to Junie B on tape in your car. You can rent those things at Cracker Barrel, that's what. We all enjoyed them on our LONG trip home from New England.

Hayely said...

Junie B. Jones was my very favorite in second grade.

And my favorite location is TLC (The Library Center) and I am not sure why. Maybe because it is the only place I feel that I can get lost in. Or the fact that they usually hire very attractive male librarians.

My name is Hayely A. Queen. My middle name is Ariana. But I just like the "A". And that's all.

Anonymous said...

I know we've had this talk before. But I do love that Junie B Jones too. My sister ( a 2nd grade teacher) hates her and swore to never read her to her class on account of her snippy attitude thats why. When I pass her books in Target I usually have to pick up one and read a couple pages. Then I smile and go on my way. So I guess I don't make it to the library much but I do like Target and Barnes and Noble.

Tom Demers said...

The Library Station is the best. I remember when we moved here the Kearney St. branch was closest. It was yucky. I like our (it's actually *my* library, people) new library much better.

Junie B. is ok, if you must know.

Favorite genres: history, biography and sci-fi. I also enjoy reading magazines like Popular Mechanics and Smithsonian while my kids are in the children's area.

Anonymous said...

Hey did you dvr "windfall" last night...I just found out my friend was on it.

hillenblogshappywife said...

yes, we did...we still have all of them, do you want us to keep them? We only have 56 hours left on our dvr...:)

Anonymous said...

Oh no you don't have to keep them on my account... I mean I know how precious your dvr space is. But could you keep last nights. That would be awesome. I will try to get over there asap. Maybe tonight after the baseball game. That might be past your bedtime though. You can let me know.:) Thanks Cin