Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thank goodness school is almost out! Skyler is of course graduating, her last day is the 14th of May. Barrett still has until the 29th of May. But we seem to be checking out already! I keep hitting the snooze button, sleeping too late, so then we have to hurry around. This morning, I for some reason was thinking it was still around 7:40 and that I had plenty of time to get the kids lunches done before 7:50, when they leave. Too bad, so sad it was really 7:48, and they were ready to head out the door. So with all four of us running around the kitchen we managed to get lunches together in under a minute. No one thought it too funny when I suggested we do this everyday, as many hands make light work!
Usually tho, the lunches are made, and the kids go off without a hitch. Until I walk into the kitchen to refill my coffee and see Barrett's lunch sitting on the butcher's block. Or he calls and says he has forgotten it again. So suffice it to say, I have dropped off lunch for Barrett at least 1/2 of the days we have gone to school in the last 2 weeks. Another day, he called because he had forgotten his chapstick. Which would have never been delivered by me, except he is on a medicine that dries out his skin, and his lips are very, very chapped and cracked. So it is not an option to not have it. Oh, another day he forgot his pill after breakfast, so I had to take that, because he has to keep to a consistent schedule with this medicine. Then yesterday he forgot his material and sewing "caddy" for home ec, and I took that to him.
All this to say, the wonderful ladies working in the office, Lori and Tammy, have seen me almost every day now for a couple of weeks. The day I brought the chapstick, I told them what it was so they wouldn't think "chapstick--how spoiled is this kid"! Tammy laughed when I told her that, and said no, I know that the medicine dries out the skin. Then yesterday, when I took in the sewing stuff, I said, "I don't know what you all will do without me next year!" Tammy laughed again and said "you're a good mom" to which I replied, "I may just have a spoiled kid!" Then she and Lori both said "no, you are a good mom."
You know, for some reason that made me feel good. I know a lot of people would not or could not take stuff their kid has forgotten, maybe they are already at work, or whatever. But it really doesn't make me go out of my way, and lots of times it is forgotten because of the mad rush out the door that I reap for a few more minutes of sleep. Anyway, I am ready for school to be out. At least then for a few months, the mad dash will be mine only, and I can tell myself that I will get up earlier next year. Or Barrett will make his own lunch!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I could think about when reading B needed his chapstick was Napoleon Dynamite...apparently the nurse has some chapstick he could have used. :) And I have to agree with the secretaries; I've been around your family enough to know you are a good mom.

Hillengrandma said...

You are a wonderful mom and an exceptionally great daughter-in-law. I love you!!!

Hillenblog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.